[Sigia-l] what are best practices (was OT: Library Thing)

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Tue Oct 4 02:12:19 EDT 2005

On 4/10/05 12:51 PM, "Listera" <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

> <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html>

Ah yes, Jakob. He's the one that encourages everyone to think for
themselves, to ignore the espoused dogma of gurus, and studiously avoids
producing slabs of "best practice" guidelines.

/snark.

meanwhile ...

On 4/10/05 12:51 PM, "Listera" <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

> Best practices are emphatically NOT guidelines, heuristics, rules of thumb,
> etc. Otherwise, they would be called one of those.

and yet ... look who is calling one of Jakob's guidelines a best practice
(and in an effort to bolster his argument that best practices are not
guidelines!)

> Best Practice:
>
>> I admit it: during my spring 2004 seminars, I downgraded cross-platform
>> compatibility to a one-star guideline [...]
>> <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html>

e.