[Sigia-l] Site map generator?

Livia Labate liv at livlab.com
Wed Nov 30 19:45:21 EST 2005

 >> a tool cannot determine or infer structure.
 > Why do you say that?

I often get this question after people are surprised I can't do a
content inventory in 30 minutes.

The relationships that can be inferred from a spidering/clustering tool
can range from the very basics (with tools like Xenu), based on folder
structure, to more complex relationships (with tools that do clustering
analysis, etc). But they are mostly dumb tools, they just follows links.
And that's fine if what you want to assess is basic "structure".

Although folder structure CAN reflect exactly what the content structure
is, I find that most of the time that is not the case (if the site has
more than 20 pages you can bet on it). To infer non-explicit
relationships between pieces of content is NOT to look at the content
structure, it's to look at the content organization.

Structure and Organization are different things, though intimately
intertwined. Content organization is about how each piece of content
realates to each other and to the whole. Content structure describes in
which bucket each piece of content sits in (which doesn't necessarily
express organization).

All this to say that when I do a content inventory I'm interested in the
content organization (along with other attributes) - content structure
generaly surfaces during the discovery process, but expecting a tool to
do both things is just silly.