[Sigia-l] Taxonomy Governance Models - Nov 30th Community of Practice (Announcement)

Seth Earley seth at earley.com
Mon Nov 28 20:10:11 EST 2005

Taxonomy Governance Models

The next Taxonomy Community of Practice call is on Wednesday November 30th
at 2:00 PM EDT. Cost is $50 per attendee. Register for the session at
www.earley.com .

This month's call looks at several aspects of taxonomy governance.

Perhaps your company has recognized the value of classification. Now, how do
you manage it? You've begun the derivation process or been through one or
more iterations. But things change- products, markets, offerings,
competition, customer needs and on and on.

New stakeholders want to apply their perspective to the taxonomy, or try to
develop their own branches and nodes to reflect their audience needs. There
is a pressure from the business to change the taxonomy and cause it to
splinter and diverge. Subject matter experts, new hires, and sponsors all
think their view is best.

In this session we'll learn how two organizations deal with governance and
change management policies and processes. We'll hear from Christine Connors
of Raytheon and Marti Heyman of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu about how
governance policies will vary depending on the phase of the taxonomy program
(creation, implementation, maintenance), the size of the project and the
nature of the organization. We'll look at:

- Overall governance policies
- Change control
- The role of boards and committees
- Budgets and funding strategies
- Standards creation processes
- Tools and techniques for team collaboration

Our first speaker, Christine Connors, is Raytheon Company's metadata
Architect and Subject Matter Expert for the Knowledge Management and
Discovery Strategic Initiative. Christine leads the Enterprise Search &
Knowledge Representation Teams. The KR team won the 2003 Raytheon Corporate
IT Collaboration and Knowledge Management Excellence award for its work on
developing and deploying the KR model for web services.

Our second presenter, Marti Heyman has been involved in the design,
development, implementation and on-going maintenance controlled vocabularies
in the corporate settings for the past 15 years. She has extensive
experience in the application of more generalized knowledge management
practices and techniques to meet varied business challenges working in a
variety of different business settings from non-profit to chemical
manufacturing and e- business technologies.

Join the free taxonomy community of practice yahoo group
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/TaxoCoP

If you have problems registering on line, please contact Monique deVries at
Earley & Associates- monique at earley.com or call 781-444-0287 ext. 805

Seth Earley
Earley & Associates, Inc
email: seth at earley.com