[Sigia-l] "Who Really Turns Off JavaScript?"

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 15 09:10:21 EST 2005

On 10/11/05 11:06 am, "Pete Stott" <Pete.Stott at Wheel.co.uk> wrote:

> Stewart Dean:
>> The other point is as an information architect worrying about JavaScript
>> doesn't come under my job remit. That's why I work with an implementation
>> crew.
>
> I beg to differ. Whenever I recommend functionality that requires JavaScript
> I wireframe both the with and without JavaScript cases.

By the sounds of it you're getting to close to the technology. As an
information architect I feel it's vital to keep a few steps back from the
technology - think about how you would want to work then enter into a
dialogue with the implementation team that are available and then make the
appropriate compromises.

The only reason I can see for creating two versions is if you're planning to
create and IA then throw it over the wall to the implantation team. The
thought of that turns my blood cold.

Maybe a personal thing - I did get turned down from a job for not being
technical enough even (I have been a programmer in the past) and I think
that's just down to my view of how user experience design should be done.

Cheers

Stewart Dean