[Sigia-l] Meaning of "unified development methodologies"

Andrew Boyd andrew_db at bigpond.com
Thu May 12 16:24:35 EDT 2005

Tanya Rabourn wrote:

>Would it have worked better the other way around -- if you
>would have produced scenarios, validated by the end users
>which the IT team then used in the construction of their RUP
>artifacts?
>
>-Tanya

Hi Tanya,

hell yes :) But this wasn't possible - I was brought in half way through
the development process to look at what was needed in the way of
information support - manuals and online help - and noticed that the
developers and users weren't talking, a sure-fire sign that 'what we
asked for but not what we want' was being developed. I looked at the
process and made some suggestions about how it could be made to work,
and the scenarios were the cheapest way to try and retrofit a proper
consultation process. It was not ideal, but the end result was far
better than if the intervention not taken place (the developers were
writing something that didn't fit a previously unidentified mandatory
requirement). This was one of those 'anything is better than nothing'
situations. I am still warmed by the small glow of satisfaction from
that one :)

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew Boyd
Business Development Manager