[Sigia-l] Emetrics Summit 2005?

Indra Chandon indra at semantia.com.au
Thu May 12 05:06:02 EDT 2005

Hi Antonella,

I have used the following interactions to help determine a general
(unqualified) measure of success for non-commerce Web sites -

Pages bookmarked - which page(s) and how many people have bookmarked the
page
Pages as Home Page - which page(s) have been set as the default Home
Page when opening a new Web browser window
Download speed - how long (time) it takes to download a page
Number of return visitors - how frequently they return and style of
interaction (path of page views)

However, you may need to look at the Web Server logging tool(s) that
you're using to determine if it can capture this information. If not,
there are a number of tools available that can help.

Asking visitors (whilst obvious is rarely done (in my experience)) about
their interaction with your Web site is great way to gain a level of
understanding about their satisfaction - if you have the resources for
such an undertaking.

Regards,
Indra

>Message: 13
>Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 16:58:48 +0200 (CEST)
>From: "Antonella Pastore" <antonella.pastore at ikonosnewmedia.com>
>
>My question is about how to leverage the quantitative data that can be
>derived from traffic log analysis to evaluate human activity on a Web site
>that is not based on e-commerce-like transactions.
>
>In our specific case, the goals are to identify the core target groups
>within the overall number of visitors and monitor their behaviour on the
>Web site. Typical questions would be: what information (e.g. sub-site,
>documents, pages, content) is used by whom? how often do they come back?
>how much time do they spend there?
>
>However, the key question is, how do we evaluate these quantitative
>measures? how can we tell if a certain number of page views or a visit
>duration is good or bad? That's when you want to refer to literature to
>have guidance in analysis and evaluation. Or you do everything yourself
>from scratch (or you write to SIGIA).
>
>What we want to do is not a useful prerequisite to understanding my
>question, however: any concise summary of our plans would result in a
>spotty scenario.
>
>I am more interested in learning what kind of questions other people have
>asked themselves when considering how to measure the success of a Web site
>that is not based on transactions. Most literature on traffic metrics
>focusses on e-commerce and assumes that there is a "funnel", a critical
>point where the user takes a specific action resulting in something
>measurable (e.g. subscription, email, purchase, etc.).
>
>When nothing like this is there, how do you measure how your Web site is
>doing?
>
>Traffic analysis is only one tool to draw the big picture, but still, how
>do you leverage traffic analysis to get to an answer?
>
>Hope it's clearer now
>
>Antonella

Indra Chandon
Semantia Pty Ltd
PO Box 7301
St Kilda Road, Victoria 8004
AUSTRALIA
Tel: + 61 3 9419 9773

This email is intended for the use of the individual or entity named
above and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email in error please immediately
notify us by return email or telephone +61 3 9419 9773 and destroy the
original message. Thank you.