[Sigia-l] is it just me, or is it really hard to find IAsright now?

Giovanni Fortezza Giovanni at fortezza.com
Thu Mar 31 22:14:01 EST 2005

I understand both sides well. I have lived both, they are equally
frustrating and both have upsides and downsides.

However I have found that most companies would rather hire freelancers
because they do not understand the value of Information Architecture and
User Experience. I have heard many times from Account managers, Project
managers, Creative directors the words: "This is the IA, he writes the func
spec, it's a big document"

Would I prefer to work full time? Obviously I would, I am not a big fan of
going from place to place I'd rather be building a UX practice at a company
that would give it a strategic role, promote research prior to building
something and usability along the way. Yet corporations prefer to hire
freelancers because it is far cheaper from a budget perspective, even though
I agree it is a waste of time for the people the IA works with at the
corporations.

The freelancer culture has finally gained momentum. Yet I would rather be a
full timer with a nice salary and health care.

Giovanni