[Sigia-l] Question about the use of the term 'ontology'

ruth at ruthkaufman.com ruth at ruthkaufman.com
Thu Mar 31 14:00:59 EST 2005

Quoting Peter Van Dijck <peter at poorbuthappy.com>:

> The terminology usage is all over the place, so I'd just define
> something (say, "taxonomy") within your company - check if people are
> cool with it first.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks.

Anecdotally, I think I won't use 'taxonomy' because I think we need to start
using Topic Maps to manage our wide range of stuff in different
contexts, and I
think if I stick with our current generic term (which happens to be
'taxonomy')
that people won't get that we're doing something new and improved. So I'm
thinking of using 'onotology', but just want to double check that I don't
misuse the term in a way that causes me to be dismissed by our library
scientists.

Thanks again. Hope to hear more input.

Ruth