[Sigia-l] testing navigation models

Donna Maurer donna at maadmob.net
Mon Mar 21 17:09:05 EST 2005

Card sorting is a generative technique, not an evaluation technique. It
is used to get ideas on content groupings, not to test that they work.
Card sorting is related to groupings of information. These may
eventually be represented in navigation, but there is no real link
between card sorting and navigation.

Angela, what are you trying to test? Are you trying to:

* determine whether the groupings and labels you have used work (the IA)
* make sure people can see the different navigation zones on a page,
such as global, local and related info
* determine which page layout is most effective
* make sure people can hit targets or operate flyout menus
* something else entirely

The way you test will be dependent on what you are trying to learn.
There aren't any magic testing methodologies - you have to try to narrow
down what you want to know and then figure out a way to learn that.

Donna

--
Donna Maurer
e: donna at maadmob.net