[Sigia-l] Making the complex simple

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:46:00 EST 2005

Hi there,

Listera <listera at rcn.com> wrote:
> To cite the most recent example from my own life [...]
> I haven't handed in a single piece of (printable)
> 'deliverable'. We've been working on evolving prototypes and on-screen
> interaction maps. Their expectations surely have changed.

Heh, which is why I asked if you've done much government work. I used
to work as a consultant where I could get away with changing the scope
and form of the project as time went on, but now in government that
option is pretty much non-existant. I'm trying to come up with a way
to be flexible and different-thinking in a place that's dripping with
policies and ancient rituals no one knows why is even in place.

Changing the way people think is one thing; changing the way a strict
hierchial government body works is something completely different.

> Complexity is often a matter of "I wrote a long letter, 'cause I didn't have
> the time to write a short one" syndrome. Simplification is, of course,
> infinitely harder than complication.

Amen.

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert