[Sigia-l] Technology is just a tool (was "NYT article" on sigia-l)

Andrew Boyd andrew_db at bigpond.com
Thu Mar 10 12:58:52 EST 2005

Hi Steve,

you are most welcome. Thanks for writing the book. It is the best I've
ever seen for helping application developers think about web design, and
middle managers think about how usability makes good business sense, all
in a package that made it easy for them to read. When we (Daily Basis)
first saw it, we bought eight copies (for a company that then had not
quite this many employees), and handed it out to the engineers and
project managers that we worked with, and kept relending them to
everyone we could (which we do to the present day). You made us look
good :) More importantly, it set a lot of these talented people to
thinking about how else they could improve the lot of the people they
developed for. It is hard to quantify the difference that this has made
to the organisations that we work with, but it has been noticeable.

There have been bigger books written, and newer ones published since,
but none of them has been as easy to hand to a colleague and say "Read
this. It will only take a couple of hours, you will have a much better
idea about what we are talking about".

With thanks,

Andrew Boyd

Steve Krug wrote:

>Andrew Boyd said:
>

>>To try and return this to topic... I've tried to educate people as much
>>as possible where they have shown an interest, at every place I have
>>ever worked. I firmly believe that each time a junior engineer or middle
>>manager reads Rosenfeld and Morville or Steve Krug's 'Don't Make Me
>>Think', they have raised the pool of human consciousness just a tiny
>>step in the right direction. :)
>>

>Thanks, Andrew.
>
>That's probably the nicest compliment I've ever had about my book.
>
>Steve

>Steve Krug                    Advanced Common Sense
>skrug at mindspring.com

Andrew Boyd
Business Development Manager
Daily Basis P/L