[Sigia-l] Web site A-Z indexes

Johnson, Bryce BryceJ at navantis.com
Wed Mar 9 13:55:16 EST 2005

I would think that the types of collections that would benefit most from
the creation of an A-Z index are the ones that make human indexing
impractical if not impossible.

>From <http://www.web-indexing.org/about-web-indexing.htm>
"Indexing is an analytic process of determining which concepts are worth
indexing, what entry labels to use, and how to arrange the entries. As
such, web indexing is best done by individuals skilled in the craft of
indexing, either through formal training or through self-taught reading
and study."

Has anyone ever come across a non-human indexed collection that did a
decent job in creating an A-Z index? You could have a list of terms not
to index that seems easy, but arranging the entries would be tricky.

Bryce