[Sigia-l] data as information?

Dan Saffer dan at odannyboy.com
Wed Jun 29 21:06:57 EDT 2005

On Jun 29, 2005, at 8:40 PM, Listera wrote:

>> The number 4683 is an example of data.
>>

>> [Data] is the evidence of a relationship between two
>> things.
>>

> How's 4683 data again?

Dick was picking a random number as an example of data. It's
meaningless until it's part of a relationship with other data. In
this case, say, The distance between New York and Paris is 4683
miles. "New York" and "Paris" would be other bits of data. Which in
turn my be meaningless without the information New York and Paris are
a cities. And so on and so on.

Dan