[Sigia-l] information architecture in practice

James Melzer jamesmelzer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 16:09:31 EDT 2005

I use databases in my work constantly. I usually start with a
spreadsheet until things get enough order or enough complexity to
warrant a database. I probably use databases and scripting or
reporting tools as much as I use Visio these days.

For a project right now, I have: (A) a database of the metadata model,
(B) a database of the taxonomies the model uses, and we're working on
(C) a database of tagged content. For another project, I had a
database of a complete content model: content genres, their elements
and attributes, behavioral rules, and sample content.

It sometimes takes an information system to describe an information system :)

~ James

On 6/29/05, Andi Baur <buki at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once again I was reading around in Wodtke's "Information Architecture -
> Blueprints for the Web" and once again I asked myself, how all the described
>
> things are applied in daily work. I mean there is a description of
> taxonomies and controlled vocabularies, but all on paper.How do I apply this
> the best way? For example, I would try to put the things in a relational
> atabase. E.g. on page 138 in Wodtke's book, I would create columns for
> preferred term, variants, parent, children. And then use sql? Is that a good
> way? I mean, in all IA books everything is described so well (labelling,
> wording, usage of meta data  etc) and I really understand what they are
> writing and why information architecture matters, but my question is - and
> maybe some kind of stupid or naive question -, how to get all this stuff
> into the computer, i.d. not to use the tools to create a wire frame,
> visualize a hypertext structure or all the other tools mentioned on the ia
> wiki. On the one hand I can build pages with jsp and ejbs. I know xml, sql,
> and so on. And on the other hand I really try to place emphasis on
> usability, information architecture, visual design, accessibility and so
> forth. But I don't know exactly how to combine both things.
> I'm just a student and so I don't have real practical experience, but really
> try to become both a good programmer and a good information architect.
>
> Maybe someone has good hints for me, I would be very thankful.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andi

> *Plain text, please; NO Attachments

> IA 06 Summit.  Mark your calendar.  March 23-27, Vancouver, BC

James Melzer