[Sigia-l] So, how did you become a[Information Architect|UsabilityEngineer|Interface Designer|etc.]?

Adi Tedjasaputra adithe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 08:50:59 EDT 2005

Peter Van Dijck wrote:

> I have a pet theory about why IA as a field has been successful enough
> for many companies to now say "I need an IA". Basically: we're great
> at creating boundary objects (creating things that have different
> meanings for different groups of people, like wireframes). Which is
> exactly what web teams need.

It's interesting you brought up the issue of boundary objects. However,
I am not convinced that your theory with the example of wireframes makes
sense, because imho wireframes is a technical term that is ineffective
for building any shared understanding for people from different
communities of practice, such as non-technical business people. You may
be interested to dig up more from Bucciarelli's object worlds and
Wenger's communities of practice that may give more sense to the success
of IA.

Peter Van Dijck wrote:

> What I find interesting is how we are developing IA as a meaningful
> category that is accepted by a wide variety of social groups. There's
> a study there waiting to be done.

I would be interested to know what you meant exactly by "a meaningful
category that is accepted by a wide variety of social groups".

Cheers

--
Adi B. Tedjasaputra

IT and User Experience Manager
TRANSLATE-EASY
:: RFID and Human-centred Design Innovation Centre in Asia ::
http://TRANSLATE-EASY.com

Menara Kadin Indonesia 30th Floor
Jl. Rasuna Said Block X-5, Kav 2-3
Jakarta 12950