[Sigia-l] So, how did you become a[InformationArchitect|UsabilityEngineer|Interface Designer|etc.]?

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 08:17:32 EDT 2005

On 6/27/05, Jursa, Jan (init) <Jan.Jursa at init.de> wrote:
> The point I'm trying to make is from a stakeholder point of view it is
> much easier to find an IA if he can put an accepted label on the person
> he is looking for.

Given the varied nature of IA, how? If I say I'm an IA, what work
would you expect me to be able to handle? And would this be true
across a wide range of employers?

> This in return generates more IA-jobs and raises awareness. It's a loop
> where everybody profits from. But I think, it has to start with a
> concrete term, label or that one accredited job title.

Elsewhere in the thread someone talked about "Doctor" being such a
label, on the same par as IA for a label. Now my question is; is it?
Doctor leans you towards some possible medical remedy, and I guess IA
leans you towards something that, eh, builds with or for information,
maybe? Anyway, is doctor and IA as titles go good categories for work
description?

Here's a random doctor list I can think of; tree doctor, Dr Love,
doctor surgeon, Doctor Doctor (for those 80's fans), general
practitioner, ear doctor, new age healer, sex doctor ... the list goes
on, licensed and unlicensed doctors of many things. Of course, there
is the basic category properties of "doctor" which is an advantage,
which is *not* given to IA, but maybe that's for another discussion.
:)

regards,

Alexander
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert