[Sigia-l] So, how did you become a [Information Architect|UsabilityEngineer|Interface Designer|etc.]?

Ted Han notheory at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 08:42:58 EDT 2005

On 6/26/05, Listera <listera at rcn.com> wrote:
> Careful now, you're officially entering a war zone. :-)
>
> Would you be happy doing "the work" without possessing "the title"?

Yeah i think i would.  What appeals to me about IA is that it is a
holistic enterprise.  The thing about holism, is you can expand to
the whole from different starting points (from what i gather that's
what the first wave of IAs and others in fact did).   I cant remember
if i read it here or somewhere else, but someone out there's made the
point that even if your title isn't Information Architect or User
Experience Designer or whatever, that there are people out there doing
Information Architecture just by the nature of the projects that they
undertake.  So i would surmise that i could stick to the stuff that i
do now and delve just as heavily into the world of IA as i could
anywhere else.  However, the reason why i think the title/field
matters, is that as an IA or whatever you can put that sort of
holistic perspective at the front of what you're focusing on, where as
if i'm simply just a web developer, or linguist, or webmaster, people
make different assumptions about what it is that i do, and what it is
that should be expected from me.

-T