[Sigia-l] Internal usability/UE teams

Ted Han notheory at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 21:17:19 EDT 2005

> My sympathies to the teams that you're on. What started of as a
> sincere discussion has denigrated to mud slinging (well almost).

So you have to respond in kind? :P

> In the end however, I am beginning to get an amazing insight into the
> way you think (and maybe) the way you approach this field. Contrary to
> your earlier line "this is where design gets into trouble", I think
> it's this attitude; this holier than thou, ask me the right question,
> 'I' will provide the answers attitude that gives designers and design
> a bad name.

This is not a characteristic unique to designers, it is a
characteristic of smart people who give irritating responses to their
pet-peeves.  You see it with programmers, artists, academics,
sys-admins, any field in which smart people reside.

> In my post I merely speculated and asked for opinions and experiences.
> Instead of wasting so much time telling me to ask the right question
> (in the process calling me a dog)

The barking up the tree metaphor is my responsibility, and i meant no
harm by it (dogs are people too!).

> you could have simply said that you
> don't know (I am sure now that you don't), you don't care or simply
> withheld from posting. Instead you indulge in self-glorifying
> psuedo-intellectual repetition which wastes time, bandwidth and casts
> a shadow on the field of IA and it's this that leads people astray.
>
> I take no pleasure in saying the above; it saddens me. But it has to be said.

I don't think Ziya's point should be dismissed on the basis of its
presentation.  I still think this wasn't the best way to go about
getting information you might want (which i certainly can't fault you
for, i am just as guilty of mis-querying lists such as this one), and
Ziya is right in the capacity that as an instance of a question which
rests upon what might be some bad assumptions (or simply
miscommunication), that such assumptions should be rooted out for what
they are (i don't know what's with me and arboriculture today).

In short: so you have to take Ziya with a grain of salt, big deal.  It
is an annoyance, but i doubt an insurmountable one.  He's been called
on it before, and i'm sure people will continue to call him on it in
the future, so i wouldn't get in a snit about it.

-T