The Answer (finally) (Was [Sigia-l] Internal usability/UE teams)

Lyle_Kantrovich at cargill.com Lyle_Kantrovich at cargill.com
Sat Jun 25 10:04:20 EDT 2005

Adamya,

As an "internal" myself, I can sense where your question might be coming
from...and I feel your pain.

I don't have any magic ratios, but some factors that should be
considered based on the context/company:

A. Type of industry the company is in.  (e.g. High tech, software,
medical devices, office supplies, food, commodity transportation,
etc.)...yes, they can all *use* UE folks.

B. What's going on with the company.  E.g. Are new/better products key
to their success?

C. How projects are conducted.  Do they have a mature process that UE
can fit into, or is it "wild and wooly?"

D. Outsourcing...is it an option?  While you might need 8 UE folks for
THIS project, maybe you don't need that many on an ongoing basic, so you
might want to staff the peak demand from the outside.

E. What's the level of UE work needed on the product to raise the UE
quality to the desired/acceptable level.  Are you working on the
internal Law department's intranet site, the company's customer-facing
web site, the company's core product, a complex software tool, a medical
device (that also requires FDA approval), or the next space shuttle?

If you have the time, you might think about doing a comprehensive,
global study.  If you do, you will find that all companies need exactly
(2A+3B*(.25C^2)+5D-7E)*100Q UE professionals where A,B,C,D and E all the
polynomial quantifications of the factors above, and Q is a semi-random
number almost, but not entirely unlike something between 0 and infinity.
 (Yes, some on this list might get headaches just thinking about it, but
it's simple to prove to any qualified three-year old monkey using an
Etch-a-Sketch and a couple bananas.)

If you can't accurately measure all the factors above, you might try
"benchmarking" a bit...ask folks how many people they have, what they
work on, and how they are valued...it'll help you get UE more
established and valued at your company.  Yes, I know that's what you're
really trying to do here, but "here" isn't even a real place...which
means you have to question the existence of anyone who's "here"...so get
serious about it and quit asking great questions in places that don't
exist.  :)

Best of luck getting UE established in your real place.

Lyle
----
Lyle Kantrovich
User Experience Director, Cargill
Cargill: http://www.cargill.com/

My Blog: Croc O' Lyle - http://crocolyle.blogspot.com/

Disclaimer: My silly attitude does not in any way represent any kind of
silly attitude at my employer.  I wouldn't even attempt to try to
represent that.  Oh, and please disregard that second to last paragraph.