[Sigia-l] Microsoft, the Colonialist?

david broschinsky daveb at startide.net
Mon Jun 13 21:47:13 EDT 2005

No - I think this is the opposite of Contextual inquiry.

With Contextual inquiry, the practioner goes in with the understanding
that they are there to learn "as an apprentice".

An anthropologist comes to the scene with a completely different set of
assumptions it seems to me.  How many anthropologists do you know that
go study more advanced civlizations?  They are they to learn, but there
is certainly the understanding from their point of view that they are
more advanced.  I think this makes it much more difficult to understand
exactly what the user is trying to accomplish.

Granted both are taking notes, but I think it's a world of difference in
attitude.

daveb