[Sigia-l] Brand Creation

Livia Labate liv at livlab.com
Tue Jun 7 22:26:07 EDT 2005

> Zyia:
> Branding is the means to realizing a business goal.
>
> Skot Nelson:
> Nope. Product is.
>
> Zyia:
> The sky is green.

<point made> See what happens when we start using a term when talking
about different things? ;)</point made>

Branding IS the means to realize a business goal, but "branding" means
creating something (a product, a service, an experience, whatever)
which delivers the brand promise. The "brand promise" is what the
business is set out to do, it's what's defined by the business mission.

So, to the original question:

 > Jenine Lurie wrote:
 > I am interested in learning about exercises that have been found
 > successful in creating a new brand? The client is beyond the
 > "white-board" brainstorm.. What are some other techniques that have
 > been used to get the creative juices flowing?

I imagine the question is about creating a new product, not a new brand.
  Is that correct Jenine? It seems like the discussion with the client
is not about what the business is going to be (defining the brand
promise), but how to market a product in the marketplace - something
usually and erroneously described as 'branding' the product. 'Branding'
is aligning the product idea to the Brand Promise, but if the
"white-board" brainstorm phase is over, then I assume the product has
been defined. Otherwise, what was the exercise for? Please correct me if
I'm wrong.

My question is, what are you trying to define, a product? a service? an
experience? There are many techniques for each one of them and I would
say all of them include brainstorming, but all of them have a goal and
intended outcome/deliverable so you can move on to the next step.

Or are you looking at how to market this product (how to advertise it
and how to generate sales)? If that's the question I don't think this is
the right forum for it. You might be more successful in a marketing and
advertising list.

Cheers,

Livia

liv at livlab.com | http://livlab.com