[Sigia-l] Delivering documents for viewing only (no printing, no saving)

Dave dheller at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:01:09 EDT 2005

All True Ziya,

And like you said it is about effort/cost/success.

Some of these products though require windows to run and thus can't be
used on non-windows systems so that point b/c moot.

David, the Extranet piece is only relevant if you mean that the end
user isn't allowed or shouldnt have to install any new software, and
needs to be completely OS/browser independent.

Since most solutions are about encrypting and decrypting the
information, if you use the wrong system, it can't decrypt and won't
be visible. These encryption applications need to be installed, though
many are plug-ins for PDF or MS Office.

Oh! something I have seen one company do is convert everything to TIFF
and then have the user install a TIFF viewer as a plug-in. A bit harsh
indeed. No temp files, the TIFFs get loaded into memory.

Good luck!

-- dave

On 6/7/05, Listera <listera at rcn.com> wrote:
> Dave:
>
> > 4. very strong DRM solutions even have solutions that lock the opened
> > file to a specific user's machine using the MAC address #.
>
> MAC can be spoofed trivially.
>
> > 5. good DRM will also prevent a user from taking a screen shot
>
> Not possible on non-Windows platforms.
>
> Ziya
> Nullius in Verba

> *Plain text, please; NO Attachments

> IA 06 Summit.  Mark your calendar.  March 23-27, Vancouver, BC

David Heller
E: dheller (at) gmail (dot) com
W: www (dot) synapticburn (dot) com