[Sigia-l] Making the case for unique ID numbers

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 18:28:19 EDT 2005

Hi,

On 7/17/05, Merry Bruns <mbruns at nasw.org> wrote:
> I've been poking around online looking for references, but would really
> appreciate ay resources you could point me to, to back up what seems, to
> me, to be a non-issue.

If you want reuse of information, if you want people to talk about the
same things, if you in some way need to point to something
identifyable, you need PI's, but if, as you say, your company merly
meddles in a "page context" ('hey, chuck this bit on the "about us"
page, will you?') then that page is your PI.

There is an article that makes a good point for PI's, information
identification, how they fit in semantic structures and so forth,
although it is more about information overload and Topic Maps as a
solution (and yes, PI's for information blobs (topics) are part of the
Topic Maps standard (PSI's)) ;

http://www.ontopia.net/topicmaps/materials/tao.html

Unless the topic interests you, you can stop at chapter 3, but I'd
urge you to carry on, of course. :)

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert