[Sigia-l] RE: Software Patents and IA?

Surla,Stacy M. SSURLA at mitre.org
Wed Jul 6 13:09:36 EDT 2005

I guess this is copyright infringement not patent, but my company made a
policy decision to not promote the internal use of open source software
because of the SCO v IBM-Linux case, and related.  Well, we still use
Linux, but this policy seems to have affected software acquisition and
development decisions.  For instance, we wind up doing things like
writing out own javascripts rather than using available ones, and buying
lots of Microsoft products.

~Stacy

Stacy Surla

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:51:04 +0100
From: "Jonathan Baker-Bates" <Jonathan.Baker-Bates at oyster.com>

This reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask the list: do any
of you who work in countries like the US, where software patents are
legal and often enforced, find it affects your work? Almost the
canonical example of this now is Amazon's "one-click ordering" patent
for e-commerce websites. But there are thousands of others I believe.

Do you need to be wary of coming up with an idea that might be found to
infringe a patent? I'm kinda assuming it doesn't, since I've not seen
anything on the list relating to the issue, but I was just curious.