[Sigia-l] Happy Independence Day...from "Best Practices"

kjnarey asow73 at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jul 3 13:43:44 EDT 2005

>> I see best practices as 'tried and tested practices, used by similarly
>> skilled and able individuals, that have worked effectively (subjectivity
>> alert...) in the past, in a particular, but broadly similar context'.

>Yes, but you've just described a very elegant, agile and graceful pig [1]
>that happens to fly. :-)

Which part of the above statement (which you've slightly removed from it's
context I feel) is of porcine character?

Are you disputing that you/we can learn from previous successes and/or
mistakes, whilst gnawing on your cayenne-glazed trotter? Probably not -
otherwise you'd have Darwinians worldwide groaning with laughter. :)

A well-heeled business consultant (digital pig farmer?) coined the phrase
'best practice' and we've all been suffering since. I don't blame him/her
however; it was the person who implied that 'best practice' [tried and
tested practice, used by similarly skilled and able individuals, that has
worked effectively in the past, in a particular, but broadly similar
context] is the panacea to all business ills, that needs a stern talking
to - or perhaps we should threaten them with a peppered chicken brochette?

Kevin