[Sigia-l] Counterintuitive

Yogesh Tadwalkar yogesh at microusability.com
Tue Jan 25 15:03:35 EST 2005

 From: "Matthew deStwolinski" <
The lack of expectations and habits is exactly one of the things that
makes this new design safer.  When you don't know what to expect and are
forced to act to a new situation each time, you pay attention.

Yogesh: Yes, you are right about that logically. But my question is whether
the basic assumption 'drivers do not pay attention to pedestrians because
they are looking at road signs' is correct? I do not have any statistics on
this, but let's say it's true. But then, why not place signs at more
intuitive locations or such that it gives enough time to drivers to
form/change a strategy (take a turn, reduce speed, etc.). Removing signs is
a very crude, lop-sided solution. Think about  a driver who is not sure
where to turn and depends on street signage - he is duped now - no signs.
(Get a map and read it in the car? Now THAT'S distracting and dangerous)
Also, removing traffic lights is an equally crude solution. Definitely they
do not 'distract' anybody ! In fact, they actually help. Think of a old man
or a school child trying to cross on the new road. Will a parent ever feel
safe about  her child crossing this road. Frankly, I do not think so.
Lastly, stopping or slowing 34 cars for an odd pedestrian may prevent
accidents, but remember it's a busy intersection and regardless of what you
may say that 'car throughput' is not the goal here...it's always a goal on
any road.

< 2. No rules situation loads working memory beyond what's necessary.
Now
< speaking on cell phones while driving (something people will not stop
< doing despite all stats) will be even more dangerous.
That's definitely the intuitive argument, but the counterintuitive
argument is that people do these distracting things because they have a
false sense of security.  The more dangerous the situation appears, the
less comfortable people feel and the more they pay attention.

Yogesh: Your argument is right again. But why stress people (both drivers
and pedestrians) when it's not necessary? Cell phone conversation and
chatting with a friend while crossing were just examples of doing a
secondary activity while driving or crossing. There can be others. Why make
simple situations 'more dangerous' forcefully?

Despite all arguments, I am sure I am missing something here. It can't be
that a Europe-wide feasibility study has been commissioned for Mr.
Monderman's solution for no reason. Frankly, I want to be proven wrong about
whatever I said here. That will be great - honest.

Actually, in the simple world, there are simpler solutions to ensure flow of
traffic and pedestrians like pedestrian bridges or underpasses. But then,
Mr. Moderman may not find these solutions as radical as 'removing even the
street lights'. So I will not suggest them.

regards,
yogesh