[Sigia-l] Step By Step Wizards...

Matthew deStwolinski matthew at destwo.net
Thu Jan 20 03:14:51 EST 2005

I do like wizards that give you the option of not going through every
step, but I have a really big pet peeve about how most of them do it.
We've all seen the setup wizards where they ask if you want a standard
or custom installation.  But they rarely give you any idea of what
choices you may be giving up.  (Of course, sometimes this is on purpose
because they want to make changes to system settings you might not
approve of were you asked specifically, e.g. multimedia players taking
over file associations.)  Often the only way of telling what the
differences are is to start going through the custom install (or reading
the documentation, but who wants to do that?)  It would be nice if at
the standard/custom decision point, you had the option of a quick
description of what "standard" meant.