[Sigia-l] what cost overrun is too much? when do you cut your losses?

Scott Nelson scott at penguinstorm.com
Tue Jan 18 23:26:06 EST 2005

On Jan 18.2005, at 10:44, tOM Trottier wrote:

> Operating costs are definitely not 20x "original full cost".

So Tom got me thinking, and trying to glean some good information from
this post.

I worked on a project that spiralled wildly out of control; the lawyer
who ran the show kept promising payment, and not getting it. Suppliers
would charge interest, project would stop and start again (read: new
fees) and the thing just kept going up and up and up.

This guy ordered #300,000 worth of Sun equipment without putting down a
penny. That kind of project.

At what point do you burn and build again? Ever? Never?

I realize there's an answer which is "depends on the project" but I'm
wondering if there are any general guidelines. I suggested it on this
project, and it would have gotten completed for much less money (this
just means that different people would have been screwed out of less
money, not that it would have launched.)

I'm happy to take the conversation off list, and maybe willing to
disclose more information about what led me to that specific
recommendation at the time. But thoughts from the list would be
interesting.
--
Skot Nelson
skot at penguinstorm.com