[Sigia-l] Java installation stats?

Leslie Johnston johnston at virginia.edu
Mon Jan 17 18:05:46 EST 2005

At 05:52 PM 1/17/2005, Matthew Milan wrote:
>I was involved in the development of a web application last year that
>also required a 1.4 or higher JRE and JWS.  I can't remember specific
>stats, but the issue for us wasn't that people didn't have Java
>installed per say, but that they many of them were running older
>JRE's.  We talked with our client base about this change and many of
>them didn't like the idea of having to upgrade the JRE.  Our
>development lead loved the stuff in 1.4 though and so we ended up
>using it anyway.  It turned out to be a significant problem for us
>during development and deployment.  I don't work for the company any
>more and I can't remember off the top of my head where we got the java
>usage info, but if it comes to me, I'll drop you a line.

That users are running older JREs is indeed showing up as a problem.  Among
the wrinkles that we are seeing today, the first official day of testing
with users:  some browser installs include older versions of Java (a
brand-new laptop came with 1.4.2, but some browser install overwrote it
with 1.4.1), and Mac OS X version 10.3.4 is required for JRE 1.4.2.  Then
there was the user with Windows98 - his department in the University last
upgraded him 4 years ago.  And there are separate browser/Java
compatibility issues that effect the use of Java Web Start, so we may end
up with very narrow environment recommendation for use of our tools.

I look forward to any and all additional feedback.

Leslie