[Sigia-l] Teragram Categorizer?

Penne, Carol CPENNE at imf.org
Mon Jan 10 12:37:09 EST 2005

Posting on behalf of a colleague who uses Teragram Categorizer.

We have been working with Teragrams tools for just about a year now.
Our experiences are very positive and I'd be happy to talk with you in
greater detail one-on-one.

Here's a quick summary of what we've developed so far:

For metadata capture for electronic content -- metadata is output in xml
format:

categorization for five metadata attributes including topical
classification, business function classification, region classification,
sector classification and thematic classification
concept extraction for keyword indexing against pre-validated thesaurus
terms
concept extraction for country name assignment using authority control
to manage variations and output the 'authorized country name'
concept extraction for people, organizations and series names (same use
of authority control here)
pattern matching rules to capture ISBN, ISSN, Project ID, Trust Fund #,
Contract #

We also are using the pure concept extraction technologies to support
first steps in developed controlled vocabularies for thesaurus,
authority control.

We are just this week beginning to test the Spanish and French concept
extraction to build multilingual thesauri and authority control lists.
Teragram's 20+ language capabilities were a major factor for us in
selecting their tools.   We will be investigating whether concept
extraction can help us to build our language term databases to enhance
translation as well.   We don't know how we'll come out on this one -
but we're going to do some testing.

We have also tested the statistical clustering tools for the purpose of
building associations among concepts for thesaurus and we've been please
with the initial results.

Best regards,
Denise Bedford, Ph.D.
Information Solutions Group