[Sigia-l] smelly contextual inquiries?

Yogesh Tadwalkar yogesh at microusability.com
Wed Jan 5 21:36:35 EST 2005

A brilliant idea indeed Eric,

In fact, it is scientifically proven that smells affect the limbic part of
the brain, thereby evoking memories usually unreachable in any other manner.
I saw a documentary on Discovery channel just yesterday, showing how using
smells, people can be made to remember things from as far away as one's
childhood. All that smell in the documentary reminded me of this post of
yours and prompted a reply :-)

As a usability consultant, I often find that a large part of observations
made on field visits is lost by the time we start analyzing data. Taking
meticulous notes is better said than done even when you work in pairs,
considering you are still 'absorbing the reality'. Further, not everything
can be verbalized instantly (or ever) even if you observe it. All this
underlines the need to 'rewind and replay' the past with as many tools as
you can use.

While solutions such as videotaping sessions (if permitted), collecting
on-scene artifacts and conducting the analysis close to the end of a CI
session do work well; recreating smells from the field visits is a novel and
creative idea worth trying!

The only problem with 'recreating smells' is that the memory may not be the
most dependable tool to recreate them. While you may remember that the "Tall
guy had a curry flavored food container"; I doubt you will ever remember the
curry smell itself. The best option would be to beg, borrow, or steal as
many 'smelly' artifacts as you can from the field visit.

Once again, it's a great idea and I am surely going to try it the next time
I do CI.

Oh, the smell of this dusty teddy bear reminds me....

regards,
yogesh