[Sigia-l] XML alternatives

Andrew Boyd andrew_db at bigpond.com
Mon Jan 3 04:06:59 EST 2005

Listera wrote:

>Andrew Boyd:
>

>>sobriety
>>

>Speaking of ethnographic research and leaving aside those cultures that shun
>alcohol altogether, why is it that we tend to get drunk when celebrating
>cyclical turning points: harvests, new year's, holidays, birthdays, etc?
>Website launchings?
>
>Ziya
>Nullius in Verba

Hi Ziya,

celebrations are traditionally a point where license is given to unruly
behaviour of one kind or another - being a bit eurocentric for a minute,
have a look at the old agricultural cycle (where most of the common
celebrations ultimately derive from) - the people were celebrating the
end of winter, the mid-point of winter where they were generally going
to live if they'd made it thus far, the start of harvest, and harvest's
end (and the start of another long and dreary winter). Ronald Hutton
wrote a good no-nonsense look at this in 'Stations of the Sun' for those
who are interested in that sort of thing.

Website launchings are traditionally 'well-watered' because those
present are either celebrating the end of a project (the workers),
trying to create a favourable impression with clients (the marketing
folk), or there for the free drinks and nibblies (the
clients/prospective clients).

Birthdays are, well, just an excuse to get plastered :)

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew Boyd
Business Development Manager
Daily Basis P/L