[Sigia-l] Internationalization/Globalization/Localization help needed

Peter Van Dijck peter at poorbuthappy.com
Thu Feb 17 13:34:31 EST 2005

> These "culturally-linked attributes" are the tricky part and where I
> disagree with the Aaron Marcus report.
>
> The article talks about Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions and attempts to
> apply that to the design of web interfaces focusing on multi-cultural
> audiences. However, I feel it fails to address the issue of how to
> accommodate the differences that set different groups apart. It is a
> great article if you're not familiar with Hofstede's work, but the
> concept of design approach under a segmented locale modeled after
> Cultural Dimensions doesn't sit with me well.

Me neither. Hofstede's dimensions haven't been applied in a very useful
way to webdesign yet, I think, and I'm not sure they ever will. The
research I have read (don't have the references here, but I remember 2
papers) found that either the dimensions have no influence on IT use (I
remember a quote calling IT "the great cultural equalizer", not sure if
I totally agree with that), or the researchers couldn't find a good
research method to determine influence.

Peter