[Sigia-l] Amazon Prime (subscription-like service) - an innovation?

Andrew Boyd andrew_db at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 7 20:04:23 EST 2005

Hi Ziya,

as far as I know (someone please correct me if I am wrong) the tariff on
books is on the way out if it hasn't been removed already.

I get the feeling that the local shops charge whatever they can
reasonably extract without holding a gun to the customer's head. Tariffs
(maybe), smaller market, less scope for economies of scale, sure, but
I've regularly seen books on Amazon at less than half the price I would
have to pay for them locally even after the exchange rate and shipping
are added - I have to assume that someone is trying to take me for a
ride. That, and some Australian suppliers insist on sea-freighting from
overseas even when asked not to, so a week's anticipated delay can
become 6-10. And they charge almost as much for packaging and postage as
Amazon. And orders seem more likely to go missing or get confused.
Enough ranting :)

Amazon is probably the most visible face of the international economy
for me personally - it would be a rare fortnight when I didn't order at
least a couple of books. For my fiance, it would be a tough call between
Amazon and the Japanese discount kimono dealers :)

Best regards, Andrew

Listera wrote:

>Andrew Boyd:
>

>>they are still more efficient than going through an Australian distributor
>>

>Is there a price difference? Tariffs on books, etc?
>
>Ziya
>Nullius in Verba

Andrew Boyd
Business Development Manager