[Sigia-l] Negative review of Blink

Listera listera at rcn.com
Mon Feb 7 19:49:39 EST 2005

Martin, Chris C.:

> An anecdote about food tasters begins: "One bright summer day, I had lunch
> with two women who run a company in New Jersey called Sensory Spectrum." The
> weather, the season, and the state are all irrelevant. And likewise that
> hospital chairman Brendan Reilly "is a tall man with a runner's slender
> build." Or that "inside, JFCOM [Joint Forces Command] looks like a very
> ordinary office building.... The business of JFCOM, however, is anything but
> ordinary." These are typical examples of Gladwell's style, which is bland and
> padded with clichés.

To earn my keep from Gladwell (or whoever his publisher is), I have to say
this is at best pedestrian criticism. It's a book written for a general
audience for heaven's sake. I actually read a much more intelligent but
generally skeptical review of the book (whose name I may have mentioned
three months ago), but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. If/when I remember
where it was I'll post it.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba