[Sigia-l] the lesser importance of home pages -> moresplashpagefun?

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 28 05:18:46 EST 2005

On 22/12/05 7:05 pm, "Listera" <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

> Stewart Dean:
>
>> Why - because all of a sudden the programmers and technical architects
>> and copy writers become designers as they are part of the problem solving.
>
> If the owner/manager of a business went to a programmer, technical architect
> and copy writer (or a tree surgeon, plumber and a cardiologist, for that
> matter) to solve his overall strategy, structure, architecture, interaction,
> interface, graphics and usability problem and they were able to do it, sure.

Everything before the brackets I would say is true. For example the
technical architect is important to the business strategy (what can be done
by when), the programmers have a direct affect on usability (it needs to
work seamlessly) and the content creators have a direct affect on structure
(after all, content is king).

I work on websites most, not trees, u-bends or heart transplants.

>> all these roles work together to create the final solution
>
> Even your own formulation has the answer implicitly in it: "all these roles"
> do not happen to work together automagically and the final solution is not
> created by happenstance, Much the way every orchestra needs a conductor, the
> Designer is the one that solves the problem. Others play their part in the
> implementation of the solution.

In terms of creating, say, a large companies website then it's not an
orchestra, it's more like a rock band. I won't go into that analogy to far
but the mix I'm used to is   Project Manager / Information Architect /
Visual Designers / Technical Architect (or just plain programmer) and where
possibly a content strategist. If you're working agency side then there's
also someone who looks after the relationship with the client, this can be
the project manager or, if you're using an old model, an account handler. So
like a good band four five folks are ideal for most medium size sites - with
extra backing singers, horn players coming in if you need to amp things up
(damn, slipped back into the analogy).

Stew Dean