[Sigia-l] First to market vs. Right to market

Chad Fennell libsys at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 21:07:49 EST 2005

I am reminded of this Spolsky classic:

"Fire And Motion"

"I remembered this for a long time. I noticed how almost every kind of
military strategy, from air force dogfights to large scale naval
maneuvers, is based on the idea of Fire and Motion. It took me another
fifteen years to realize that the principle of Fire and Motion is how
you get things done in life. You have to move forward a little bit,
every day. It doesn't matter if your code is lame and buggy and nobody
wants it. If you are moving forward, writing code and fixing bugs
constantly, time is on your side. Watch out when your competition
fires at you. Do they just want to force you to keep busy reacting to
their volleys, so you can't move forward?"

-Joel Spolsky

Cheers,
-Chad