[Sigia-l] Putting the "Graphic" back with "Designer" (was: the lesser importance of home pages)

Christopher Fahey askrom at graphpaper.com
Tue Dec 20 09:12:56 EST 2005

I wanted to add one thing: I think I am seeing a trend whereby graphic
designers who had been calling themselves "designers" for the last few years
are now becoming proud of being "graphic designers" again, and are finding a
new appreciation for the graphic design traditions that, during the internet
boom, they were patronizingly told over and over again "were SOOO print".
The re-emergence of grid systems, increased consciousness of typography (and
techniques to go beyond the fonts included with browsers), the widespread
adoption of CSS, have all largely been pioneered by people whose
appreciation of the "graphic" part has been core to their professional
identity.

It's a trend I hope continues.

-Cf