[Sigia-l] Free lunch...and drinks too

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 20 08:23:27 EST 2005

On 20/12/05 10:16 am, "Listera" <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

> British Design Innovation reports that an average advertising agency spends
> over $67,000 a year on free pitches, equivalent to four months by one person
> each year. After potential clients see the on-spec pitches, over a quarter
> of the projects aren¹t even awarded to pitching agencies at all. Paid-for
> pitches, on the other hand, results in a much greater chance of winning the
> job.
>
> Have you ever pitched any design, IA or similar services, with out-of-pocket
> expenses? Stories?

It's the norm in the new media industry in the UK for pitches not to be paid
for. Many top agencies majority of work comes through client relations from
winning one bit of work so the gamble is worthwhile. Proposal work for
existing clients is treated differently and is often paid for or taken from
the retainer budget (if applicable).

In new media you tend to pitch for sites with or without final
implementation (many have internal technical teams or have other partners).
IA is nearly always part of a package including visual design, a level of
marketing advice and other aspects dependent on project.

Others experience may differ and I don't speak for any of the agencies I
have worked.

Stew Dean