[Sigia-l] Research then prototype OR prototype then gather userfeedback

Cindy Blue cblue at navigationarts.com
Mon Dec 19 17:59:19 EST 2005

In my experience, it depends (yeah, yeah, it all depends) on how much you
already know about the users, how much time you have, what type of
information you are trying to gather, and what you mean by prototype.

I have worked on products for which I really know the audience, and feel
that it is better to have something visual for them to react to, in order to
solicit more specific responses.  In other cases, I've known next to nothing
about the users and how the product might fit into their workflow and
environment.  In this case, putting anything in front of them might
completely miss the mark and waste time.

A prototype can take many different forms, some more time consuming than
others.  An uninformed prototype can backfire if users focus on an element
of the visual that isn't insightful, or if something from the prototype that
wasn't well thought out survives iterations by flying under the radar (no
overwhelming positive or negative feedback).

Cindy

Cindy Blue
Senior Information Architect
NavigationArts, LLC