[Sigia-l] the lesser importance of home pages -> more splashpagefun?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Sun Dec 18 17:46:44 EST 2005

Christopher Fahey:

> I think that, however, without changing the content of the page or the concept
> behind it,

Which is what a Designer does.

> the typography and layout can probably be improved under the care
> of a more skilled graphic designer.

Which is what a beautician does.

In other words, once a "design by testing" advocate manages to frame the
central problem as one of the efficacy of visual arrangement, thereby
putting strategy, structure, architecture and (even selection of) content
beyond the purview of the designer, then, yes, we can quibble on the
fringes. Personally, I'm not interested in arguments where the designer's
role is framed as somehow orthogonal to usability. That's so last century.
:-)

----
Ziya

I'm a Designer: I Solve Problems