[Sigia-l] the lesser importance of home pages -> more splash pagefun?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Sun Dec 18 14:54:16 EST 2005

Lyle Kantrovich:

> It's called minimalist design.  Most "usability folks" that run tests
> are very much for it.

Here's a "minimalist" design favored by Jared, in his own words:

>> http://www.mcmaster-carr.com (My all-time favorite. This site tests
>> tremendously well with its users and most designers HATE it. I mean,
>> visceral, OH-MY-GOD "How could anyone use it" hate it. Yet the users just
>> love it, usability tests rock, and site revenues are great.)

> Please quit smearing "usability testers".

Why?

> Just because you put a smiley after it doesn't make it humor or less
> accusatory.

I accuse them of all sorts of things frequently, with or without smileys.

> Featuritis is something most usability folks fight against every day.

So?

> One of Nielsen's heuristics is "Aesthetic and minimalist design:
> Dialogues should not...

What dialogs have to do with homepage design (the subject of this thread)
escapes me. As is the notion that anyone should pay any attention to Nielsen
on anything concerning aesthetics and design.

> Useful isn't equal to usable.

In design terms, that *is* humorous.

----
Ziya