[Sigia-l] the purpose of a homepage

Stewart Dean stew8dean at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 15 04:53:16 EST 2005

Interesting results. I presumed it was dependent on what the page contained.

My view is that the first page needs to communicate where the user is and
what the site owner is offering and have one clear focus on the page (lots
of even weighted items leads to confusion). It then needs start delivering
on the main purpose of the site on the front - so if it's about brand
experience it starts there, if it's ecommerce then there are items to buy
etc.  Farily obvious but it does put your 'links' issue into context I hope.
Links should not only just be seen as navigation but also content - they
inform the user as well as providing a journey. As always getting the right
level of links / information is key.

Stew Dean