[Sigia-l] the purpose of a homepage

mfg345 at aol.com mfg345 at aol.com
Wed Dec 14 16:44:58 EST 2005

I was recently having some internal debate with my co-workers about the
purpose of the homepage in light of metrics showing that most visitors
to our site (upscale shopping) don't click on links within the homepage
content, rather using the navigation and search. This was also
reinforced by a recent usability test in which users did not read the
homepage for any of the tasks.

The debate revolved around whether the homepage was failing because
people weren't using it, or that if users were finding their way to
content it didn't matter how they did it.

Does homepage content need to be clicked on in order for the page to be
successful (especially for a very strongly branded company)? What is
the tradeoff between creating more engaging homepage content vs.
filtering users directly into the site more quickly? Is there any
research or benchmarking on homepage clickthrough rates for links in
content vs. links in navigation, and comparisons for conversion rates
between the two?

 Thanks,
  Michael