[Sigia-l] advice for junior IAs; breaking into the field...

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Wed Dec 14 12:06:30 EST 2005

What advice would you give to someone who

  (a) wants to be a practicing IA, BUT
  (b) doesn't have much experience AND
  (c) just completed an MLIS degree? (or soon will)

I just finished teaching an introductory IA course to MLIS students.
Some of them would like to do this work professionally.

How should they get started?
Where should they look for work?
How can they improve their skills?
What should they be reading?

I have some ideas, but I'd like to know what other people think.

For most of my students, this class was their first exposure to
IA/ID/UX concepts and techniques. They don't have much technical
knowledge. They don't live and breath this stuff (yet). So their
mental models are a bit vague. And of course, they lack experience.

On the other side, they do have an MLIS. Some have just finished
their degree. The rest will finish in the next 4-8 months. Also, the
course involved a design project, which gave them have practical
experience with project definition, blueprints, wireframes, user
research and so forth. What they lack in experience and confidence,
they make up for in potential and enthusiasm.

I'm mainly looking for suggestions in four different areas: jobs,
training, books, online media diet (blogs, web sites, etc).

But I'd appreciate suggestions about anything you think is relevant.

Jobs
====

Where do you recommend people look for work?
What are some good sources of job posting?
What would you look for as a potential employer?
How do you suggest people get started in the field?

Some things to consider:

  * These students live in southern Ontario. Some people would be
    willing to move. But for many, local opportunities would be
    preferred (Toronto, Ottawa, London, Hamilton, Windsor etc.).
    They would probably prefer Canada, but it depends on the person.

  * I know about the IA Institute Job board

  * I know about this site: http://jobs.ok-cancel.com/

  * Our faculty has a co-op program. Contact me if your company
    would be interested in hiring students for four or eight month
    internships. We usually place 20-30 students in co-op positions
    each term (summer, fall, and winter).

Training
========

What kind of training would you recommend?
Where can people get additional training?

I know about the IA Institute mentorship program, but I'm not sure
exactly how it works or how appropriate it is.

Beyond that, I am clueless.

Books
=====

What books would you recommend?
What should they read now that they've finished this course?

Here is what they read in my course:

  * Most of the polar bear book (2nd edition)

  * Selected chapters from "Observing the User Experience," by
    Mike Kuniavsky. Most of the introductory chapters, plus the
    material on card sorting and usability testing.

  * Selected chapters from "Paper Prototyping" by Caroline Snyder.
    The introductory material, and enough to get the gist of the
    technique.

I've got lots of ideas. I'm looking for what people think would be
*most* useful as the next step (and why!).

Online Media Diet

What web sites, blogs, and other online news sources should they
read on a regular basis?
What do you read?
How do you stay on top of your field?

Thanks for all your suggestions.