[Sigia-l] How to evaluate your team of interaction designers?

Dave Heller dheller at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 17:51:03 EST 2005

Having gone to two different corporate management courses this year.
One by choice, one by force. I can say there is a common belief that
you need to match frequency and type of feedback depending on the
needs of the individual you are dealing with. But one of the courses
did say that in their research (this course was taught through
Cornell) they saw that positive feedback at random (non-previously
agreed to) periods breeds the fastest changes and the most positive
changes. However, usually for recent hires or direct reports that are
struggling, it is best to give positive and negative feedback in the
context of the work given.

As for the annual performance review, these are considered goal
setting and not exactly feedback, though that is an element. There
should be no surprises during a performance review by either
participant b/c people have been in constant contact throughout the
year. It should really be ... here are the goals, do you agree, what
questions do you have, what do you need to achieve them, and here is
your bonus for last year's performance.

-- dave

On 12/8/05, prady <pradyotrai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Listera <listera at rcn.com> wrote:
>
> > Which brings up an interesting question: should feedback be given at any
> > time when it's most fresh/relevant/needed or in a formalized/designated
> > fashion every 6/12 months because, well, that's just best practice?
>
> Depends on the "trust" between parties. Some managers dig their grave
> over doing it. If you are manager, and have not created "trust",
> better follow HR best practices.
>
> But this is not an alternative to good data collection for the review.
> When you have reviews per 6/12 months, that is to facillitate fair
> processes. Well, supposedly.

> *Plain text, please; NO Attachments

> IA 06 Summit.  Mark your calendar.  March 23-27, Vancouver, BC

David Heller
E: dheller (at) gmail (dot) com
W: www (dot) synapticburn (dot) com