[Sigia-l] How to evaluate your team of interaction designers?

prady pradyotrai at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 13:54:30 EST 2005

Welie, Martijn van <martijn.van.welie at satama.com> wrote:

> I am a teamleader of a team of 4 interaction designers, 2 being junior and 2
> being senior. Soon I will have to hold the mandatory job evaluations (or
> some call it 'appraisals'). I would like to do this in a structured way and
> I am thinking of criteria on which to judge my people. I would appreciate
> any input that people on this list could give.

Looks like you are missing a format which will help you calibrate
different individuals. One way is to list the parameters that you
mentioned in a matrix format, say, your projects (or other
deliverables) Vs. how well you did (you ability to design/motivate
team/create value, etc). But before you do that, try to create a
managiable list of parameters. Most of the things you said can be
summarized in couple of bullets. Keep it simple.

Also, make sure your organizational goals are alligned with this
matrix. It must account for what you want to achieve -- 1. Promote
people, 2. Give them axtra "mulla", 3. Reward them higher/different
responsibility, etc...

Another big thing which you should watch out is "Sample Bias". If you
are the only person going to access them, people will not accept is
being very fair. You can remove this bais by asking others to provide
their feedbacks (these folks may be those whom the individual in
question worked). Another means is to allow people to self assess
themself on the same criterions.

Performance review is tricky. Same things that motivates one person,
can demotivate someone else. If everyone got the same review, that too
works as a demotivator. Performance review is also about feedback,
which can happen only in open and fair sessions. If you deprived
individuals from feedback, or did not give him time to comment about
you, too bad. Fairness is the key and being both sides, I know it is
not an easy job.

All the best,
Pradyot Rai