[Sigia-l] What if you had the power...

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 21:11:17 EST 2005

Hey,

Me:

Listera <listera at rcn.com> wrote:
> If you accept it as fact that there is a strong correlation between ego and
> creativity, are you sending a message here?

I'm allergic to "Norman says 'x', so it must be true, and Jacob says
'y' so it must be false". I want "I wonder if doing 'z' gives '123' "
on a more general level, more experimenting and playing around, and
less card-sorting. HCI has been around for over 50 years; surely there
is something of value from those 50 years that aren't wrapped up in
"Simon says 'x' and therefore you should do that."

> > 2. More patos about what we do
>
> How do you mean? Pathos towards the client who pays? Or the user?

No, pathos *about* what we do, how we do it, and who we do it for.
Just being a bit more passionate about why the users perspective is
more important than some jockheads brilliant idea, telling people that
you would be sad if you did 'x' instead of 'y' because of the
following '123' reasons. This because *I* am a passionate kinda guy
who will jump up and down in excitement when presenting something I
think is truly important to a room full of people. (In fact, I put up
a disclaimer before every presentation I do that there might be some
jumping and flailing of arms happening ... :)

> > 3. Stronger extra-field impact
>
> On business? Art? Humanity?

I want UCD/HCI/whatever to have a stronger presence in project
management and organisation strategies, be it commercial, government
or otherwise, and not just as a slight part of some dinky project. I
want it to permute to all branches of how we humans do anything with
everything in the world, from interaction with the TV to services to
buying gum at the shop. I've come to realise, after a many years, that
after all - we're all humans, and that humans like to be treated as
humans. Odd, isn't it? :)

Hey, you asked for a wishlist, not something that actually *could* happen!

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert