[Sigia-l] Dublin core subject and dewey decimal

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:39:38 EDT 2005

Fortune Elkins <fortune_elkins at summithq.com> wrote:
>   best practice question: would I be insane to suggest that in implementing the dublin core on our portal that we adopt dewey decimal for the subject?

Given that the manuals (!!) for good ol' Dewey is four thick books
sitting in the odd shelf, and no one around here wants to touch them
unless then have to (and I work at a library), I'd say you're beyond
saving, that's how mad you are. :)

there are good and bad to any classification scheme, but Dewey, bless
his little heart, in all its good intention comes great fallacy in
terms of what you gain; the const of maintenence is simply huge. What
system could you possibly want Dewey to handle? Deweys perspeticve was
for *all things* written on this planet (and a lot more!!), hardly a
monster you'd unleash on a puny portal?

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert