[Sigia-l] Issues in the taxonomy of human experience

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Aug 25 01:26:15 EDT 2005

Manu Sharma:

>> don't think of it as forgotten, think of it as being put down for a nap.
>
> And why is that? Is Google out of news?

It's fashionable at the moment to push back Google, you don't need a valid
reason. :-)

New York Times puts it succinctly today:

EVER heard the old joke about the two psychiatrists who pass in a hallway?
One says, "Hello there." The other thinks, "I wonder what he meant by that?"

In high-tech circles, that's pretty much what people are saying about Google
these days. If you hadn't noticed, Google is no longer just an Internet
search tool; it's now a full-blown software company. It develops elegant,
efficient software programs - and then gives them away. In today's culture
of cynicism, such generosity and software excellence seems highly
suspicious; surely it's all a smokescreen for a darker, larger plot to suck
us all in. What, exactly, is Google up to?
[...]
Wish they'd cut it out. Trying to figure out what this company's really up
to is enough to drive you crazy.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/25/technology/circuits/25pogue.html>

Now there's the case of Google soaking up darknet fiber and those black
helicopters but I can't comment on it. :-)

Ziya
Nullius in Verba